Communications Specialist and Senior Writer
If you’re passionate about serving the greater good, have proven communications experience, and want to work with innovative, results-driven professionals, then come join our team!
We’re Outreach Strategists, a Houston-based media and public affairs firm with a reputation for excellence built over two decades of driving our diverse portfolio of clients’ ambitious agendas. We have an exciting opportunity for a talented and accomplished Communications Specialist & Senior Writer.
Our Communications Specialist & Senior Writer position is ideal for an ambitious, experienced writer interested in continuing to grow their career in marketing, public affairs, and media relations.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Writing and editing high-quality, substantive, professional content
- Synthesizing ideas into written content, developing copy for print/digital products
- Developing industry, sector, and product focused public relations, marketing, social media, and news media campaigns
- Managing the needs of clients and their accounts
- Expertly supporting and managing the delivery of client work including planning, content development, media relations activity, tracking key performance indicators, and reporting
- Developing news angles, stories, and pitches to further the client’s profile, products and services
- Contributing to daily meetings, and collaborating with clients on PR, marketing, and news media activities
- Fulfilling the client’s key performance indicators and growing accounts
- Maintaining a network of media contacts including journalists and industry experts
- Point of contact with key media representatives
- Keeping abreast of current PR, marketing, and news media trends and tools
- Being involved in pitching for new business, developing communications proposals and responding to RFPs
- Assisting junior writers in creating compositions and digital content.
We’re looking for:
- Extensive journalism experience
- Strong writing skills and excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with implementing digital and social media campaigns
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under deadlines and changing priorities/conditions.
- A strong communicator who’s able to express ideas clearly and who is convincing in meetings and presentations
- Proven understanding of communications including marketing, PR and news media
- A calm and confident approach to client engagement and team management
- Impressive emotional intelligence and interpersonal expertise
- A passion for the media, including social media
- Flair for creativity, strategic thinking, and innovation
- Strong copywriting and marketing mastery
- Commercially aware and business savvy
- Good industry knowledge and experience in building influential networks
- Solid computer prowess and project management skills
- Outstanding organization with an ability to manage multiple projects and portfolios
- Service focused and sensitive to confidential information
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing, Communications or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be obtained
- Experience with directing business to business (B2B) or business to consumer (B2C) communications accounts
- 5 years of progressively responsible professional writing and editorial experience
- Evidence of copywriting, marketing and report writing, social media, and client liaison skills
- Industry knowledge and contacts are beneficial
- Extra consideration will be given to those with demonstrated Spanish language fluency.